Sunday, May 13, 2012

May Photos, Day 12—Something That Makes You Happy

I have always loved Mimosa trees.  Maybe it’s because my grandparents had one at their old house, and it became my ideal of the perfect “homey” tree.  I don’t know.  I know most people (at least around here) are not particularly fond of them; many folks consider them practically a weed.

Still, at the first home my husband and I bought, we planted one.  Unfortunately, we moved before it grew big enough to bloom.

In the fall of 1998 we moved into our current (and likely last) home; we planted a a Mimosa the following year.  It took 11 years before it bloomed for the first time, and I thought we’d be graced with those whimsical pink flowers every year from then on.  But then it didn’t bloom last year.  It was a dreadfully hot summer, and I was afraid maybe it had been permanently damaged. 

But today, as I was returning home from my walk, I saw a welcome sight:  blooms!  Only a couple so far, and on the “back side” of the tree (you know, the one I can’t see from my normal vantage point), but I’m thrilled just the same.  And since I went running into the kitchen to immediately tell my husband and show him the pictures, I think it definitely qualifies as something that makes me happy.  Yay for tree flowers!

12. Something that makes you happy

2 comments:

  1. Ive always like hibicus plants for much the same reason you like Mimosa trees
    when I was growing up my parents had a large round one growing in our back garden I still remember it like it was yesterday
    they also had a big violet garden Im planning planting mine this spring

    so pleased for you :) I bet lots of childhood memories came flooding back too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love things like that, that just bring back all the fun thoughts. It's those sorts of things that create traditions, and I think that's exactly what we need.

      Good luck with your upcoming garden.

      Delete