Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Universally Understood Language (June Photos, Day 20)

 

Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language. ~ Walt Disney

Today’s photo theme was truly one of the hardest yet: fave photo you’ve ever taken.  Wow.  That’s a tall order.  I’ve been taking pictures since I was a kid, and taking the occasional half-way decent one for at least a couple of decades.  And, really, even some of those not so decent ones mean something to me, so they could be a favorite, even though they’re not very good art.  But, for the sake of locating something that wouldn’t require a major archeological dig, I decided to limit my choices to only pictures that are already digital.  Even that, though, would mean searching through thousands of files. 

Then I just looked around my home.  Because photos have been important to me for a long time, the ones I really like are in frames around my home.  Heck, that would narrow the choices down to a few dozen.  How much easier could it be than that? 

Well, still not easy, because I still can’t really pick one favorite; that would be like choosing your favorite child.  But, fortunately, I only have one child, and it’s probably no surprise that the picture I ultimately chose would be of him. 

20.  Fave Photo You've Ever Taken


I’ve always been fond of this picture for a lot of reasons.  First, because Billy looks so happy.  This was back in the days when he still liked being around us and still let me take his picture without a bunch of fuss.  Also, though it was taken while we were on a family vacation, it was in a spot that just he and I were exploring—a little out of the way path in a public park—so it’s a nice mother-son memory.  And, lastly, it’s a pretty decent image.  Good colors, nice focus, and a pretty natural expression on the subject . . . the picture every mom wants to capture.  It is one of the pictures in a frame in my living room, and definitely one of my all time favorites.

But, as you might guess, I had some others that competed for my attention today.  Not all of them are printed and framed, but they are all pictures that have always made me smile, so I’ll share some of them as well.

Faves

 

So those are some of my favorites.  Family and interesting things I’ve seen when I’ve been lucky enough
to travel—those are some of my favorite things to shoot. 

Really, now that I think about it, that’s probably the best thing about photography:  being able to capture those once in a lifetime moments, whether they happen thousands of miles from home or right in your own backyard.

What are your favorite photos to shoot?  Do you display them in frames, albums, or shoeboxes?

2 comments:

  1. very nice photos I can see why they are your favorites :)

    I keep most of my photos on flickr these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I gave up on flickr a long time ago, though I can't exactly remember why, now. Though I do go there if I am looking for a picture I can use for the blog or whatever. I like that I can search the creative commons one. But I keep my pics stored on smugmug, which I really like a lot.

      Delete