Friday, July 13, 2012

Fuzzy Serendipity

 

If I haven’t said it in a while, I’m having a really good time with the photo challenge from over at Fat Mum Slim.  It makes me think about the everyday things in a slightly different fashion, makes me think about things that I haven’t thought about in a while, and basically just lets me open my eyes and really see things.

Thursday, the prompt seemed even more wide open than normal:  texture.  Hmmm.  What might that bring?  So, while dinner was cooking, I took my phone outside and just started snapping pictures, hoping to get something that seemed particularly, well . . . textured.  I took bricks, siding, flowers, dirt, leaves, dried grass—anything that caught my eye.  And, really, I wasn’t even paying that much attention to the results, just snapping and moving on.  After all, I had some pork chops in the oven. 

So, after dinner it was time to see what I’d captured.  And, I have to tell you, while there is definitely a lot of texture to be seen in bricks, siding, flowers, etc., none of it really made for a very exciting picture.  Then, I got to a photo of the ground.  I’d snapped it because the grass was all dead and crunchy, and there were some dried up flower petals and seed buds; I just sort of liked the splash of color in a field of yucky, dead brown. 

But imagine my surprise when I pulled the image up on my computer screen and saw at the edge of the frame a little piece of fuzz that I hadn’t even noticed when I was so quickly snapping away.  The caterpillar that’s just barely crawling through my picture was completely unexpected, adding a bit of contrasting texture, and it totally made me love the photo.  It also totally made my day.

12.  Texture


It’s hard to believe such a small fuzzy thing could be the highlight of my day, but sometimes it’s the small, unexpected things that mean the most.  And I’m glad the photo challenge gave me a reason to see it.

What moments of serendipity have popped into your life lately?