Friday, October 19, 2012

5QF—Don’t Tell Me You’re A Serial Killer!

 

It’s kind of early for me to be blogging already, but starting tomorrow, I’ve got a class for the next five Saturdays.  Consequently, I’m trying to prepare myself for waking up at 6:00am tomorrow. I got up at 8:00 today, which I know is late for many of you, but at least an hour earlier than I normally wake up, and, really, closer to two on most days.  Plus, even though I told myself I needed to go to bed early last night, it was still after midnight before I hit the hay.  Again, a couple of hours earlier than normal, but still left me rolling out of bed with less than eight hours of sleep, when I’m really a nine hour girl.  It’s only 10:30, and I already feel like I need a nap!  I’m thinking tonight’s bedtime will be 10:00pm.  If I make it that long.  (As an aside, I think my school has the shortest fall break known to man: Thursday through Friday afternoon.  If you have Friday evening classes—which thankfully I don’t—you had to be there.  And, as just mentioned, Saturday classes continue as scheduled.  Crazy.)

Also, I’ve still got to do today’s TV post, which will happen later tonight (but before 10!).  I’m not entirely sure what today’s topic will be, though.  I’ve got a couple in the works; tune in later to see which one wins out.

But for now, it’s time for Five Question Friday, hosted, as always, by Mama M at My Little Life.

five question friday

1. Where do you hide junk when people come over?

Well, the truth is, a lot of junk just stays out, proclaiming my clutter-style for all to see.  But the stuff that needs to be gotten out of the way usually goes into my bedroom or closet.

2. Do political ads help you decide who you are going to vote for?

Not precisely, but maybe in a round-about way.  When they say stuff on the ads that I don’t know anything about (usually about a voting record on a specific topic or some such), then I might go look it up and try to understand who believes what about a particular issue.  But I also might not bother.  And, all of that pre-supposes that I actually paid much attention, which usually I don’t, just sometimes something seeps through and piques my interest a bit.  So, if any politician was asking me, I’d probably tell them to save their ad money and find something better to spend it on. 

3. What's your favorite holiday party to host?

We don’t really have holiday “parties”, though we do typically host the holiday family meals.  Christmas is my favorite holiday, and quite possibly my favorite day of the year, but I don’t know that it’s my favorite gathering.  It’s almost like there’s too much to cram into a short amount of time—you have to cook and eat and open presents, all while juggling schedules to make sure everyone also has time for their immediate family moments and still manages to get to any other gatherings they need to visit before the day is over.  Not much time left to just sit and visit and enjoy.  In that regard, I think I prefer Thanksgiving—still cooking and eating, but then you can just sit around and talk or play games or watch football or whatever you want to do.

4. You go to an island with your husband and can only take one personal item. What is it?

I’m not sure that I fully understand the question.  An island like stranded alone on a deserted island?  Or an island like a romantic getaway with warm ocean breezes flowing through the cabana?  And, a personal item like a toiletry?  Or like something important to me?  Maybe I’m making this too complicated, but I’ll give you a couple of answers.

If I was going to be stranded on an island and could only take one toiletry item, I guess I’d vote for Ivory soap.  You can bathe with it, wash your hair with it, and in a pinch, even brush your teeth with it.  I’ll admit it wouldn’t taste good, but it would keep your teeth cleaner than using nothing at all, and have you ever tried to wash your hair with toothpaste?

If it was an island of the romantic nature, where one would assume toiletry items wouldn’t be an issue, then I’d probably have to say my camera.  I’m also assuming communication devices are not an issue in my romantic cabana, and that they have provided means to stay in touch with the world when I need/want to do so.  If not, then I’d have to change my vote to taking my phone (and, yes, I’m assuming I’d have a signal!), which could serve as both communication and camera.

5. If you found out your spouse was a Dexter style serial killer (only kills people to save others) would you rat?

First, I should say that the only episodes of Dexter I’ve ever seen were many years ago during a writer’s strike when NBC aired a slightly watered-down version of season one.  However, with that limited exposure, I’d say that the question isn’t entirely accurate in the whole “kills to save others” bit.  At least, that’s not how I perceived it.  Does he kill bad people?  Yes.  But it’s not like he’s literally saving someone else’s life at the time, in most instances.  He’s just imposing a sentence on people he finds guilty.  And while there’s a certain amount of justice in that, and it’s easy to say they got what they deserve, the truth is, I’m not a big fan of capital punishment when performed by our government, so I really can’t stand behind it when carried out by individuals.  So, yeah, as hard as it would be, I’d drop a dime.  Family members take note: keep your murderous ways to yourself.

 

So that’s it for this Friday morning edition of 5QF.  Now I need to go find something to do to keep myself awake another eleven hours or so.  I’ve also got to do some reading for class, though I fear that may work against my first goal.  Did I say bedtime at ten?  I might have meant eight.

Have a good Friday, and an enjoyable weekend.