Monday, November 5, 2012

One More Day

 

Election 10-13-12

  Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, we’ll have identified our next U.S. President.  But, according to all the pundits, the race is really close, so it might be the wee hours of the morning before it’s decided.  But I seriously hope that it won’t drag out any longer than that.

  Of course, like most people, I’m hoping my candidate of choice will prove victorious, but what I’m really hoping is that by the time I wake up Wednesday morning, it will all be over and done.  If I spend the next four years without seeing a single political post on Facebook, it won’t bother me at all.  And if the news folks could simply announce a winner and then move on to something else, that would be okay, too.

Of course, it won’t be that easy.  If we’re getting a new president next year, we’ll have to spend the next couple of months hearing about cabinet selections and lame ducks.  And if we’re keeping the incumbent, it’ll be all about what’s going to happen in the next legislative session and how to build a legacy.  Either way, it’s going to eventually (and, by “eventually” I mean by about November 10th) start sounding like a never-ending refrain of blah-blah-blah.  And those Facebook feeds are probably going to be filled with less than pleasant comments from both the winners and the losers. 

So, no matter what happens tomorrow, what I hope most of all is that we will all take the time to remember that before we were Republicans or Democrats, we were Americans.  And as Americans—as Humans, really—we are more alike than we are different.  I hope that we will set aside the anger and partisanship that’s been plaguing us for so long and truly unite again.

Oh, and by the way, it’s only worth putting up with all the bickering and annoying Facebook posts and all the rest if you actually join in the process.  So, please, whatever your viewpoint on things, take the time to go out and cast your vote. 

IMG_1857[1]

 

 

Early voting took me about an hour and a half today, but that’s still probably less time than it would take tomorrow.  And I’ve got class tomorrow, so better to get it taken care of early.