Friday, January 11, 2013

Five Written Questions

 

So here we are, another Friday come and almost gone.  This day has slipped away from me, mostly sleeping.  I don’t know why I was so tired today (and cold all day, which always makes me need to snuggle up and sleep, even if I’m not tired), but I was.  Slept late, took a nap, and could almost certainly go to bed right now and sleep another twelve hours or so.  All I know is I better not be getting sick again.

Then we had a heat pump guy out here to give us an estimate on a new system; took him a really long two and a half hours.  I think I told you that we’ve been having issues with the system, right?  Well, it’s reached the point where it seems like replacement is the best option, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a good option.  The whole process is so confusing; we’re about clueless to the ins and outs of the heat pump business, and—of course—everybody has perfectly logical sounding explanations about why their spiel is the best and the guy who just left is full of crap.  Brian says we either just need to buy some extra blankets and sweatshirts, or sell the house and move somewhere we won’t need heat.  Either choice is beginning to look pretty attractive.  Or at least these guys ought to just quote me a price over the phone and not wear me down.

But, enough of that.  We’ll keep reading up and make some sort of decision, so for now let’s get to this week’s questions.

five question friday

 

1. Flu mist? Flu shot? Or take your chances?

I’m not typically much of a chance-taker, but in this case, I guess I’m guilty.  I’ve never had a flu shot, primarily out of fear.  I know they don’t use live viruses in the injections these days, but I’ve known an awful lot of people who either became sick after receiving the injection or had bad reactions at the injection site.  Me, I don’t seem to have a very strong immune system, so I’m not too keen on exposing myself to extra risk via a medicine that might make me sick.  But, poor immunity or not, I’ve only had the flu once in my entire life, so I’m doing okay so far, though Brian tells me every year my luck is probably running out. 

2. Do your kids have iPads? What are some good educational apps? Price?

Well, my kid’s not really a kid, so we’re not in the market for educational apps.  But, no; no iPads here, and trust me, the first one in the household will belong to me, not Billy.

3. What are your favorite boy/girl baby names?

First, let me say that my non-favorites are “weirdo” names.  I’m pretty traditional, and I don’t think kids ought to be named after weather patterns, geographical formations, etc.  Maybe it’s because my name, while certainly not unusual, has an unusual spelling, and I know what a hassle that is.  Kids have enough to deal with growing up without strange names to go along with everything else.  Having said that . . . for boys, it should be no surprise that I’m fond of William/Bill, since that’s what I named my own kid.  I also really like James and Matthew.  It’s harder for girls for some reason; I don’t think I have any names that I have a real strong affinity for.  In fact, when I was pregnant, my mom was convinced I was going to have a girl, and I was a little terrified, because I could not pick out a name.

4. If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, which apple do you choose to eat? (red/green, gala, red delicious...)

Red delicious all the way.  I’m sure I’ve mentioned that I don’t branch out far in my food choices, the more normal the better.

5. What is your favorite place to escape to for peace & quiet, to think? Why?

Locally speaking?  If the weather’s nice, a walk through my neighborhood, or even just sitting on my deck watching the bird feeder can usually do the trick.  I’ve also been known to go to Sonic and just sit in my car for a really long time, sipping a Coke with their scrumptious ice.  If I could actually travel to the escape, it would definitely be a beach somewhere, preferably without too many people.  Sea Ranch, California comes to mind.

And that wraps it up for this week, but I did want to mention one thing: for the past couple of weeks on 5QF, Mama M has been talking about answering the questions in the form of a vlog, mostly at the urging of one of her friends.  She finally bit the bullet this week and did the vid, but I wouldn’t look for that anytime soon around here.  I like to write sitting on my couch, often wrapped up in my Snuggie, with my hair a mess, and maybe even in my pajamas; in other words, my appearance is not usually fit for public consumption.  So, at least for the time being, it’s still the printed word for me.

And, as always, I invite you to drop over to visit My Little Life and play along, or answer the questions in comments here.  But if you join in on your blog, do me a favor and leave a comment letting me know, would you? 

Wishing you all a good weekend.