Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wellness Wednesday, March 20

 

 

IMG_2550[1]

So, the craze making the rounds of the Internet these days is salad in a jar.  Multiple posters swear to the stay-fresh goodness brought about by a good ol’ canning jar, though I’ll admit I have my doubts.

Still, since strenuous exercise is off the table for a while, and since I also apparently can’t completely control my food intake, I thought I’d give it a try.  See, I do love a nice chef salad, but I will rarely take the time to put one together—especially when I come strolling home after class around nine or ten o’clock.  And, pre-making them and storing them in a typical storage bag or plastic ware container has never been particularly successful for me, from the freshness standpoint.  All in all, stopping for a quick burger is usually the easier way to go, even if it’s not the healthier way.

So, I figured spring break would be a good time to test it out and see how it works, since I’ll have other ready options on hand, just in case.  That’s how it came to be that Monday afternoon I was putting together a few jars of salad.  A couple include a bit of dressing, and a couple don’t; a couple include boiled eggs, and a couple don’t, all designed to see if any of that makes a difference.  But, the lettuce is going to be the biggest factor, I’m sure. 

So far, I’ve only eaten one of them, and that was right about the 24 hour mark after putting them together.  I will say that it was good as new, though one day is a long way from the 7-10 that the world wide web assures me they will last.  They still look okay right now, but looking and tasting aren’t the same thing.  I’ll be having another tomorrow, then the others before next Monday afternoon, just to see if they really can stand up even for a week.  I’m crossing my fingers; even if this isn’t the most low-cal salad available, it’s certainly better than those easy burgers I fall back on so often.  I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Have you tried salad (or any other meal) in a jar?  How did it work for you?

weight loss wednesday 1-23-13

 

 

 

 

 


Image courtesy of africa at
FreeDigitalPhotos.net