Wednesday, June 19, 2013

At This Moment

 

So, I have this instructor who likes to help illustrate her teachable moments with movies or television episodes.  As you might imagine, she and I get along pretty well.  I even introduced her to Suits last fall semester and got her hooked.  She said she didn’t really have time for another show, so I’m not sure she’s entirely forgiven me for that, but what can I say?  I know good television, and I know my audience.

Anyway, tonight it wasn’t a television show we were watching, but the old Jodie Foster movie, The Accused.  It’s a good movie, but I’ve seen it several times in the past.  In fact, I was one of the only people in the room old enough to have seen it in the theater.  And, we were there until 10:30 tonight finishing up the thing, which is not only half an hour past the scheduled class time, but also at least an hour later than she usually keeps us.  5:30 is going to come awfully early tomorrow.

Anyway, that’s a long build-up to say that in a bar scene in the movie, they were playing “At This Moment”, by Billy Vera and the Beaters.  I adore that song, but I can never hear it without remembering the first place I ever heard it, which was on an old episode of Family Ties.  Well, since my classmates had not been around to see The Accused in first run, it also makes sense that they looked at me like I was a little crazy when I started to wax nostalgic about a wonderful moment between Alex and Ellen, and how that song is forever melded to that television moment for me.  Kids just don’t know what they’re missing out on.

If you’ve never seen it, or would like to relive that magical (though heart-breaking) moment, you can watch the episode on Hulu.  Fittingly, it’s called “The Real Thing”.  It’s a two part episode, but “the song” and the accompanying dance are at the end of part one.

At This Moment 6-19-13

  Also, because I love a good romance story as much as the next person, I also just love the fact that Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan actually fell in love while they were working together on Family Ties, and even now, 25 years later, they’re still together, and by all accounts, still happy.  That’s a wonderful thing for any couple in any walk of life, but for a Hollywood couple, it seems pretty rare.  Especially if you think about the health challenges Fox has faced; that can’t be easy on a marriage.  I love the fact that they’re still a couple.

And did you know Fox has a new show out this fall?  I’m pretty impressed with that, too, given those health challenges just mentioned.  I’ve always enjoyed his work, including his recent recurring guest role on The Good Wife, and I’m looking forward to seeing if the new show lives up to his past reputation.  Still a few months before we’ll know, though, but I’ll definitely be tuning in to give it a once-over at least.  But even though he’s older now, and has had dozens of roles since the days of Alex P. Keaton, I will still see him in that one pivotal scene from a sitcom from days gone by, dancing to a song I adore.