Friday, June 21, 2013

Five Question Summer

 

Happy summer!  It’s warming up nicely around here, and pretty soon it’ll be hotter than just about anyone would want it to be.  But no matter what, I would always rather be hot than cold, so I’m good with summer.  But since it’s not even quite nine o’clock and I have already been falling asleep, I think we should get right to the questions.  Thanks to Mama M. for Five Question Friday.

five question friday


1. Have you ever been robbed and how did you handle it?

Sad to say, I’ve had two houses burglarized, once when I was a kid and once just a couple of years ago.  In both instances, it was a while before I felt safe in my home again.  That thing they say about feeling violated and that it’s about more than the stuff that was taken—all of that is true.  I’m seriously hoping there will not be a third time.  Oh, and one time on vacation, our truck was broken into at our hotel.  They only got a few bucks worth of change, but I was really annoyed our vacation time had to be interrupted with police statements and such.  People really shouldn’t take what isn’t theirs.

2. What do you do at a kids function when Parents don't behave? Meaning they are the ones being impatient and rude.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had this experience, at least not enough that it made a lasting impression.  And, since my son is grown, I’m not likely to have to deal with it.  But, in general, I think you deal with rude people by being exceedingly nice.  Kill them with kindness is my motto.

3. Have you heard of a potty party? Will you/have you had one for your child(ren)?

Um, not to be too succinct, but, no, and no.  Though I do think the idea of celebrating and rewarding successful potty habits is a good one, I’m not sure it calls for an all-out party.

4. How young do you think kids should be when they start taking swim lessons?

If we’re talking about formal lessons, I don’t even know that that’s entirely necessary.  As long as there’s some adult in the child’s life that knows how to swim, and if they’re willing to spend some time in the water somewhere, the kid will learn; it’s really sort of natural.  I mean, it’s not natural to swim like Michael Phelps or anything, but basic paddling around comes pretty easily, it seems.  But, to the question of when, I think kids need to be exposed to the water pretty early.  I think all of that “natural” stuff fades away if you wait until they’re old enough to be afraid.  So, definitely pre-school, and probably toddler age.

5. What makes you happy?

I’m fortunate that I’m a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of gal, so there’s a long list of things, but some of them are:  spending time with family and friends, a beautiful sunset, watching kittens frolic, good TV, peppy music, vacationing, taking pictures, writing . . . I could go on and on.  Like I said, I do think I’m fortunate that I’m pretty hard-wired to see the good in things, but I also think it’s something of a choice.  I prefer to choose happy.

 

And now, I do seriously think I’m going to head to bed, and maybe sleep for about fifteen hours and see if I can’t first catch up on my sleep from this week, and then stockpile a bit for going forward.  Then it’ll be time to wake up and tackle the homework.  We’re three weeks into summer session already, which means mid-terms will be coming up soon; can’t start slacking now.

Good night.  Enjoy your weekend, and remember to choose happy.