Saturday, August 3, 2013

Five Questions for the New Month

 

I’m going to agree with Mama M and say that I simply cannot believe it’s August already.  This year is flying by.  On the upside, that means it’ll be like tomorrow when I finish my paralegal degree, even though it won’t really happen until the end of the year.  But while I might be ready to have my degree, I’m not ready for all the other stuff that comes along at the end of the year, so let’s not rush things too much, shall we?

But let’s do rush right into this week’s questions.

five question friday

1. What is on your Summer 2013 bucket list?

Well, “bucket list” might be too strong a word, but I did recently get it in my head that we should visit a local peach orchard and pick ourselves some fruit.  I was hoping we might do that tomorrow, but apparently Tiger Woods is having an awesome tournament, and Brian wants to see what’s next.  I’ve got nothing in particular against watching golf (understanding that “watching golf” is a euphemism for “afternoon nap”), but considering I’ve only got three weekends without school commitments, I was hoping to get out of the house a bit. 

On the other hand, we have already made plans to take a short weekend away for my birthday, which is also the last weekend before school resumes.  There’s an Amtrak route that runs from here down to Ft. Worth, TX, and I’ve wanted to ride it since it set up shop here years ago, so we’re finally going to do it.  So that’ll be summer fun for sure.

2. What is the most useless item on your child's back to school list?

Well, my son has decided to go back to school this fall, but I really have no idea what’s on his list, even though I’m paying for it.  But I’ll tell you the most useless item on my list:  a set of the Oklahoma Court Rules, a two volume set of large paperback books which cost approximately $240.  As you might guess, they detail the ins and outs of the regulations you need to know for using the court system here.  So why is such valuable information useless?  Because it’s all accessible online, for free.  And, these books are published every year, which means my two hundred and forty bucks is No good for less than six months.  And I know exactly how useless this is, because I bought the 2012 set just prior to the spring semester, and opened one of the books a total of one time, and that was only because I was having some trouble with my internet connection.  Useless, I say.

3. What is the one reality TV show that makes no sense to you? 

The one?  Uh, none of them make sense.  You can visit my first Tube Day Tuesday post for a quick look at how I feel about reality television.

4. What is one movie you can watch over and over again? Why?

There are actually a lot of movies I can watch repeatedly; I’m not one of those folks who thinks it’s ruined after the first time around.  Raiders of the Lost Ark, Tango and Cash, The Negotiator, Die Hard, ET . . . the list goes on and on.  And why?  Because interesting characters and interesting story lines are always a good time.

5. What's your favorite back to school tradition?

No tradition, really, but I do love looking through my stack of text books (except those that are useless, as I just mentioned) and getting new notebooks and pens.  I’m sort of a nerd.

And that brings us to the end of another five questions, and me to the end of another day.  These first few days out of school I’ve been up almost as late as normal, so still not getting nearly enough sleep.  But the only good thing about not picking peaches tomorrow is that I can sleep in.  And I intend to.  Good night.