Thursday, December 26, 2013

Post Holiday Slump

 

I think we should begin celebrating Boxing Day here.  After all the build up to Christmas, and then a fairly long and busy day on the holiday itself, it always seems like just a bit of a letdown to wake up on the 26th and know that it’s a whole year before it will all roll around again.  Those folks who recognize Boxing Day get to drag out their celebrations for an extra day.  Of course, I’m sure all that really does is delay the letdown; those countries probably wake up with that empty feeling on the 27th instead.

Still and all, when my alarm went off this morning, I was really wishing it was a mistake.  Being exhausted and let down all at the same time is not fun.  Oh, and the music.  I always miss the Christmas music once the season has ended, so I usually wean myself slowly by listening to a few songs every day.  But this morning, in my exhausted state, I ran out of the house without my iPod.  Dang.  I don’t know if they still play Christmas music once Boxing Day rolls around, but today I was wishing my radio would cooperate just a little.

On the other hand, while I’m not entirely sure of the particulars, it seems that Boxing Day still involves the giving of gifts, and goodness knows I do not need another reason to keep spending money around this time of the year.  So maybe we could have some other sort of post-Christmas holiday, one that let’s us keep the festiveness of the holiday, and extend the holiday break just a little, but doesn’t involve gifts.   That might be a nice compromise.

On the other other hand, since I’m getting ready to take my own vacation from work, I guess I can’t complain too much about having to get back to the grindstone; I have a long break just around the corner.  But I still wish the fun and love and peace of Christmas would continue day after day (and, of course, the music), then maybe there would never be that almost inevitable letdown.