Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Too Commercial

 

Man, look at the time. I was just unspooling from the day, only having gotten home about an hour ago.  and I fell asleep writing this post.  It’s just  well after midnight time, though if you’ve been round here before, you know this is hardly the first time for that.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about today’s Tube Day Tuesday for a few days, and it’s short and to the point, like a commercial, because that’s what it’s about.  Well, really, a series of commercials—the Ford Dream Big series.  I don’t like them, not one little bit.  It’s one thing to show kids all focused on the presents and giddily asking for all the little kid things that they hope Santa brings; that’s part of the fun of Christmas.  Somehow it doesn’t come across as greedy and calculating when there’s actually some childlike wonder in the mix. 

But these Ford commercials have older kids (though not old enough to drive), rushing through their visits with Santa, no joy in their hearts, just very matter-of-factly asking for a car.  I don’t know why, but it rubs me the wrong way, and it wouldn’t bother me if I never saw them again.  For me, dream big is really more like a little nightmare.